Friday, October 7, 2011

Cake Balls

Cake Balls have kind of become the *new* cupcake.  Starbucks now sells them and "cake ball" cookbooks are popping up in the stores.  They are easy to make, but can be time consuming.  I made red velvet with cream cheese frosting, since it's my favorite.  Here's how it's done:

1. Bake a cake like normal.  This can be a box mix or one from scratch.  (Check out my red-velvet-from-scratch recipe a few posts back if you're feeling really domestic.)  I typically just use a box mix.
2.  Once baked and cooled, crumble the cake into tiny crumbles.  I just tear into it with my hands and put the crumbled pieces into a bowl.  I leave out the corners and even the edges of the cake if they are too browned. 
3.  Add 3/4 of a jar of frosting to the crumbly-ness and mix together.  (Sorry I don't have pictures of these steps.)
4. Then you just form the mixture into balls using your hands.  Place them on cookie sheets.  Place them in the freezer for about 2 hours to firm.



5. Melt chocolate chips or almond bark and roll the balls until fully covered.
6. Place coated balls on a cookie sheet to allow the coating to set up.  And I like to add a sprinkle of color on top, too!

I usually keep them stored in an air tight container in the fridge.  Yum Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment